Vegan Squash Tacos
Colorful vegan tacos with seasonal ingredients - perfect for the chilly weather!
- Roasted squash
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 to 2 ½ pounds), peeled and sliced into ¾-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Cabbage and black bean slaw
- 2 cups purple cabbage, thinly sliced and roughly chopped into 2-inch long pieces
- 2 cans black beans (15 ounces each), rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup chopped green onions
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- Pinch of salt, more to taste
- 8 corn tortillas
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. On your prepared baking sheet, toss the cubed butternut in enough olive oil to lightly coat all sides. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon chili pepper and a pinch of salt and pepper. Arrange the butternut in a single layer. Bake for 30-35 minutes, tossing halfway.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cabbage, black beans, green onion, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil and salt. Toss to combine, set aside to marinate.
3. In a small bowl, combine the diced avocado, lime juice, coriander and salt. Mash until the mixture is blended and no longer chunky.
4. In a small skillet over medium heat, warm each tortilla on both sides.
5. To assemble the tacos, spoon an ample amount of slaw down the center of your taco, top with roasted butternut and spread a spoonful of guacamole down the side. Top with garnishes of your choice and serve immediately.